Human Nature Nuggets

Unlike sheer instinct, human nature involves individual thought as to how we should handle or improve various situations. As homo sapiens, we never know what will happen as a result, but each of us tries by doing what we think is the best solution. Here are some examples…

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota, United States

I am a writer at heart, a proofreader by trade, but without a soul if it were not for the nuthatches crawling down my trees, the robins, chickadees, cardinals, and yes, the much-maligned jibbering starlings that create their own unique concerts. I have wildflowers and perennials squeezed into my front and back yards and along the curb of my house in the city. My greatest job: I was a reporter for a locally-based newspaper, where I wrote human interest and news articles, but now I am a freelance writer, both online and in print. See MY ONLINE ARTICLES on how to ATTRACT BIRDS and BUTTERFLIES, and the HEALTHIEST NATURAL FOODS at my contributor page

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Where you can Recycle Your Appliances, Electronic Products and Batteries

I honestly promise this site is not going to be devoted to recycling, as you'll see by my next post, but first I had to share this:

About 95 % of the materials in refrigerators are recyclable, including the metal, plastic liner, and glass shelves, and although many electronic products contain potentially hazardous materials such as lead, mercury and cadmium, some electronics equipment can be recycled or reused, according to the Oct. 2005 issue of Consumer Reports. They have a free web site, www.GreenerChoices.org, that lists groups that will accept old or broken parts. (Under “What you can do,” click on “recycling center.”)

Also, Consumer Reports suggests that if you need to know which stores in your area accept worn-out rechargeable batteries, go to www.rbrc.org, the Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corp. It has worked with Home Depot, Sears, Target, Wal-Mart, and other major retailers to implement a battery recycling program.