Human Nature Nuggets

Unlike sheer instinct, human nature involves individual thought as to how we should handle or improve various situations. As homo sapiens, we never know what will happen as a result, but each of us tries by doing what we think is the best solution. Here are some examples…

My Photo
Name:
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota, United States

I am a writer at heart, a proofreader by trade, but without a soul if it were not for the nuthatches crawling down my trees, the robins, chickadees, cardinals, and yes, the much-maligned jibbering starlings that create their own unique concerts. I have wildflowers and perennials squeezed into my front and back yards and along the curb of my house in the city. My greatest job: I was a reporter for a locally-based newspaper, where I wrote human interest and news articles, but now I am a freelance writer, both online and in print. See MY ONLINE ARTICLES on how to ATTRACT BIRDS and BUTTERFLIES, and the HEALTHIEST NATURAL FOODS at my contributor page

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Is the Grass Truly Greener On the Other Side?

It's usually stressful where I work. My co-workers and I generally have to rush through each of our jobs to finish them as quickly as possible, or within a limited time frame, because following them there will be another job that has to be done just as quickly. We seldom talk to each other, because that could detract from our concentration, or slow us down.

Directly across the street from us is a cozy little coffee shop. During business hours (not necessarily during lunch time), I can see the customers inside—relaxed, chatting, sipping their brew and enjoying life—and I’m envious, wishing I could be among them.

Then reality hits: Maybe those people would rather be where I am. Maybe they’ve been laid off and can’t find work elsewhere. Maybe they’re not physically fit enough to hold a job, or mentally capable. Maybe they have a job but have to work nights or weekends.

Even if they do have a job, maybe they don’t like what they’re doing (I do!), or there’s no challenge or personal satisfaction.

And then there’s the owner of the coffee shop. Is he watching our constant bustle of activity, our customers flowing in and out, our delivery truck being loaded with completed jobs? Is he looking at us with envy?

Bearing this in mind, I know I’m fortunate to be on my side, for the grass is green. Yet deep down, even when things aren’t so hectic here, I sometimes can’t help wishing I could be laughing and chatting in that coffee shop with the other customers, even if it may be a façade.

I wonder… is this an inevitable part of everyone’s human nature, or mostly mine?

19 Comments:

Blogger Meadow said...

I wouldn't say mostly yours but I would say that empathy is a gift. Being able to see a situation from different angles and be compassionate to someone else's possibilities may be a gift we all have but only few of us use.

And you're also fortunate to be one of the few who recognizes that your own grass is green.

7/13/2006 7:27 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Renee, you mention about my compassion towards other people's possibilities... and on the sidebar of your blog, you have "For any readers who are also afflicted with a passion to create art, perhaps you will find some of the links on the "Resources" pages of some use."

Methinks you have that same tendency towards compassion!

7/14/2006 5:12 AM  
Blogger Meadow said...

And I thought I was the only one who says "methinks." :)

Thank you!

7/14/2006 6:20 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

When I first retired, I was thunderstruck by all of the activity and wondered if I had been the only working for all those years.

7/14/2006 8:03 AM  
Blogger Bob said...

All of us!

7/14/2006 11:57 AM  
Blogger CE said...

Good life is like blogging. It's saying and doing what you want to say and do. It's not having a good position and lots of money.
I don't envy people who work hard and have to concentrate all the time. I envy people who are able to converse, and play most of the time.
I don't mind working hard but I don't like being observed by others when I work. Especially by lazy and bossy people.

7/15/2006 1:23 PM  
Blogger rauf said...

For many, Yes Darlene. There are dreams and hopes to go over to the other side. That keeps them going.

Once I reach there I am back to the monotony however tastier it may be. Then I want still greener grass. I chose to remain where I am never made a passport. No dreams of greener pastures. There is a charm in struggling for survival and I know that I am not alone.
please convey my regards to Mark Darlene.

7/15/2006 1:51 PM  
Blogger Dusty said...

Greener grass is a wonderful motivator otherwise all our butts would mimic our couches.

7/15/2006 2:39 PM  
Blogger ari4u said...

The grass always looks greener on the other side. No matter how many times you cross over. That's human tendency, to want what they dont have, to want what the others have, the desire to be better than the others.

Probably the people you see in the coffee shop are people like you who are enjoying their break-from-their-very-chaotic-life to the last drop :) You probably may not want to be in their shoes. Like you, i work in a very stressful environment where we have to finish things yesterday. The small breaks we have make them look like how you exactly described in your post.

7/16/2006 1:20 PM  
Blogger Blue Sky said...

What good is being comfortable if you're trapped by that comfort in a life of mediocrity? Life is meant to be lived and experienced, not just endured. If you're bored,or if you long for the laughing and chatting in that coffee shop with the other customers,If you're tired, if you're unmotivated, chances are it's because you are too comfortable. Is that really the kind of comfort you desire?

7/16/2006 2:47 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

All of us have that trait to some extent. I'm hoping you get over to the coffee shop often, to count your blessings and to people watch. It is good to have a break.

7/18/2006 11:17 AM  
Blogger goatman said...

Your techmoque is referered to as "inversion" in the design field: If the brace won't work, rotate it 90° and try it! Otherwise, look at the situation from its' exact opposite and lend to it a change which may offer solution.
I love your point of view. You will go far with this perspective, I predict.

Don't forget to dance.

Peace

7/19/2006 3:12 PM  
Blogger Kathy Trejo said...

If the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, you can bet the water bill is higher :)

7/19/2006 6:47 PM  
Blogger Vonnie said...

Hi Darlene,

Good question? It's something I've been trying to find out for years. I better find out before they put me out to greener pastures!

Vonnie

7/23/2006 5:16 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks for your encouraging comment Darlene.

I haven't had a real job in years, it is no serious problem, but I wouldn't mind at all, working in that coffeeshop and sitting and drinking coffee when not so busy, maybe talking to customers a bit.

We make up the 'realities' of the other person/s, we never really know them, that has been my experience even with close friends, and I know they have experienced the same thru me.

7/23/2006 10:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy Trejo said...

miss you! how are you?

8/27/2006 10:27 PM  
Blogger iamnasra said...

Don of conscious-living was highlighted in LIP (www.livinginpoetry.blogspot.com)
hope u can share ur thoughts on Don

10/14/2006 11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article you got here. I'd like to read something more about this matter. Thank you for posting this info.
Joan Stepsen
Latest gadget

1/16/2010 6:41 AM  
Anonymous romantic quotes said...

it is all about thinking. think that it is green then it'll be green all out..

4/09/2011 7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home